Nursing FAQ's

All of your questions and concerns relating to O'Grady Peyton International can be found here. With over 40 years of experience in helping nurses just like you find jobs in the United States, we provide answers to the most frequently asked questions. If you still have questions, please connect with our team of recruiters.


Connect with Us

Licenses and Visas
Are there costs for the permanent residency visa?

Yes. We will pay the filing fee for your permanent residency visa. However, once your application is approved, you (and any family members who will be relocating to the U.S. with you) will be responsible for any national Visa Center (NVC) fees and USCIS green card printing fees. In addition, you will be responsible for any embassy and medical charges.

Can I bring my family?

Your spouse and any unmarried children under the age of 21 are considered your dependents. However, there are regulations in relation to the eligibility of stepchildren and adopted children so please address this with our immigration team to confirm eligibility.

How do I get a Permanent Residency visa or a nursing license?

Once you have been accepted into the USA Nursing Program, O’Grady Peyton International will help you prepare for the NCLEX RN exam study for, and obtain, your U.S. nursing license, and will also handle all the requirements for your permanent residency nursing visa (Green Card).

How do I get permanent residency visas for my family?

When you apply for a permanent residency visa through O’Grady Peyton International, your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 are included in the application and able to apply at the same time.

How does the nursing visa process work?

When you take the NCLEX exam, we will meet with you to discuss the process of applying for your permanent residency visa, including the VisaScreenSM certificate. O’Grady Peyton will pay for the initial filing fee for your visa and will help you with the necessary visa requirements and paperwork throughout the process.

Is there a cost for the Visa Screen certificate?

O’Grady Peyton International will pay the cost for your VisaScreen application. If you require any additional training from your school of nursing or English language training to meet the minimum standards for the VisaScreen, the costs will be your responsibility.

What is the NCLEX exam?

NCLEX, which stands for National Council Licensure Examination, refers generally to the standardized test nurses need to pass in order to become a registered nurse (RN) in the USA.

What is VisaScreen certification?

VisaScreen certification is a process to ensure you have the necessary qualifications to work in America. During the visa screening, your skills will be compared to the minimal skills required in education, licensing, and the English language. Nurses who have graduated from a college or university in Australia, Barbados, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, South Africa, Trinidad & Tobago, the United Kingdom, & the US, don’t have to meet the English language requirement. Once you have passed the VisaScreen, you will be given a certificate that we will submit to the American embassy or consular office as part of your permanent residency application.

What type of nursing visa or nursing license do I need to work in America?

You will need a permanent residency visa (also known as a Green Card) and a U.S. RN license.

What type of training do I need for the RN license?

To get your RN license, you will need to pass the NCLEX-RN examination. O’Grady Peyton International has a comprehensive training program and study materials to help prepare you for the exam.

Where do I take the NCLEX exam?

You will take the NCLEX exam at the closest testing center to your current residence.

Why do I need a permanent residency nursing visa?

A permanent residency visa lets you legally live and work in America on a permanent basis. Your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 will also qualify for permanent residency visas.

Getting Started
Do I have to sign a contract?

Yes, you sign an official O’Grady Peyton contract for approximately 4160 hours.

How do I apply to O’Grady Peyton International?

Submit an application at

How long is my commitment to O’Grady Peyton International?

 Approximately 2 years.

What qualifications do I need for a USA nurse job?

You must have graduated high school and completed a general nurse program in your home country and passed the NCLEX-RN exam.

Nursing in America
Can I choose where I work and live?

While we do take your location preferences into consideration, we are a staffing agency that places by your specialty in the areas of most demand. Therefore, we do ask for full location flexibility, so you have the most opportunity for job placement in the US.

How do you match me to a hospital?

We consider your skills, experience, needs, personality and goals and make the closest match possible with the hospital. We consider both your preferences and the needs of the hospital to ensure that we make a match that works well for nurses and the facilities.

What do American hospitals expect from their nurses?

Nurses are treated as professionals in America and as an RN, you’ll most likely have more autonomy than you’re used to at home. An RN’s role is an educator and decision-maker. O’Grady Peyton International will thoroughly prepare you for the differences you’ll encounter when you begin working in an American hospital. Our extensive training and preparation will ensure you will know what to expect on the job, and you’ll be confident that your decisions are grounded in excellent assessment skills and clinical knowledge.

When does my assignment in America begin?

Once you are accepted into the program, it takes about 12 to 24 months before you can begin your assignment in America.

Living in America
Does O’Grady Peyton offer benefits?

Yes. O’Grady Peyton International offers all its nurses a comprehensive and highly competitive benefits package. Our benefits include:

- Health insurance

- Dental insurance

- Professional liability insurance

- Retirement plan participation

- Free continuing education

- Referral bonuses

How do I find accommodations in America?

A Relocation Specialist supports all O’Grady Peyton nurses to ensure they have a positive relocation experience as part of their move to the United States. The Relocation team reaches out approximately six weeks in advance of the nurse's tentative travel date. Our team will support researching housing accommodations, transportation, schools, etc.

How much does it cost to live in America?

The cost of living largely depends on the region where you’re working, the housing options you choose and your own personal tastes. There’s no set standard-of-living cost, but once we know your personal situation, we can help you determine your expenses. Many things in America are cheaper than other countries, including cars, petrol, household goods, clothing and food, and there’s a greater selection to choose from as well.

Is the pay better in America?

American nurses’ salaries are among the most competitive in the world. Your compensation will depend on your experience, clinical specialty, and the location of your assignment. Based on the cost of living, some regions of the country pay more than other areas.

What happens after I complete my contract with O’Grady Peyton International?

You have many choices and we will help you with your decision. Here are some of the opportunities you can choose from:

- Become a permanent employee of your assigned hospital. 

- A nursing job opportunity in the same facility may be available, or perhaps a facility in another location you’d like to live.

- Arrange for your own employment at a hospital of your choice anywhere in the United States.

EB-3 Green Card Retrogression
My priority date is Jan 30, 2022. Am I affected by the current retrogression?

Since your priority date is before the February 1, 2022 date listed on the current visa bulletin, you are not affected.

I'm currently awaiting a visa interview date. My priority date is September 6, 2022. How does retrogression affect me?

Since your priority date is after February 1, 2022, you are under retrogression.

How long will it take for retrogression to end?

No one knows for sure. Legal experts tell us the number EB-3 Green Cards the Department of State will allow to be issued is released at the beginning of the fiscal year. In the USA, the fiscal year ends September 30, 2023. Hopefully, we’ll know more then and we’ll alert you to the updates.

Will the issuance of my green card be affected because of the retrogression as my immigrant visa was already approved and I have already paid for the USCIS fee?

No, since your visa was already issued, the issuance of your Green card will not be affected.

Will the processing for my family's visa be affected since they will follow to join in the US after a year?

If the priority dates of yours or your family Visa is after the February 1, 2022 cutoff date, the visa will be affected.

I actually have an embassy appointment for May 22. I have all documents ready except my medical. Do I not attend the interview as scheduled? My priority date is June 21, 2022

If the Embassy hasn't cancelled your appointment, then you can request that we cancel it or you can attend the appointment if you like. However, If you attend, your visa would not be issued until your priority date is current.

Can the dates listed on the Visa Bulletin change?

Yes, the U.S. Department of State can move the cutoff dates on the Visa Bulletin backward or forwards. The U.S. Department of State provides updates on these dates monthly.

My priority date is Sept 2022. So how much time can we predict to get to the visa interview?

We cannot predict when you will have an interview as there are too many variables at play. However an interview cannot be scheduled until your priority date is considered current.

How long do you think retrogression will last for, year or months?

We cannot predict how long the retrogression will last however prior to the pandemic there were frequent retrogression of dates for Rest of World and Philippines towards the end of the US fiscal year (FY runs Oct - Sep) as visa numbers were used up.

What is a 221g?

A 221g notice is issued to an applicant (at the Embassy interview) when the visa application is missing the necessary documents/information for processing.

What if you pay your NVC fees before retrogression, will it be expired after certain time and we need to repay it?

During retrogression Visa fees or filing fees will not expire while you wait for visa availability.

Does Retrogression mean the whole process will take longer?

Yes, if you are affected by the retrogression the process may take longer since your interview will not be scheduled until your priority date is current.

If I attended my embassy appointment and my priority day is after February 1, 2022, will the embassy take my passport till they issue a visa or the embassy will ask me to mail my passport for visa stamping after my priority dare becomes current?

First, the embassy may cancel your appointment. If they don't cancel and you attend your interview, the embassy may ask you to mail in your passport for visa stamping when your priority date is current.

If I am already in the US as a visitor, and my I-140 was filled while I was outside the US, can I start working while waiting for the appointment date? I am case complete and priority date is after February 2022

No, you cannot start working. You will have to return to your home country to complete the Embassy interview when your priority date is current.

Will embassies issue interview dates for those not affected?

Yes, if your priority date is on or before February 1, 2022, you are not affected by the retrogression and your case will move forward as normal.

Let's say I proceeded with the scheduled embassy interview with no medicals, and interview was ok but no visa, my question is what will happen when my PD becomes current or reached the cutoff date?

The Embassy will give you a 221g for missing medicals. To avoid your medical expiring in six months, we ask that you only submit your medicals when your priority date is current.

What do you mean with cutoff dates of February 2022? Please explain further.

February 1, 2002 is the established cutoff date for you to compare with your Priority date on your approval notice. If your Priority date is on or before February 1, 2002, you are not affected by retrogression. If your priority date is after February 1, 2022, you are affected by retrogression.

Irrespective of the retrogression, can CONNETICS still issue file for VISA’s after passing NLCEX?

Yes, we will submit an applicatoin to USCIS and the I-140 is approved, continue to move forward with processing your case to the National Visa Center(NVC). After the NVC completes your case, your Embassy interview will not be scheduled until your priority date is current.

Is the retrogression country specific?

Yes, the July 2023 Visa bulletin shows that all countries are now impacted by Visa retrogression with varying cutoff dates for India and China. All other cutoff dates are February 1, 2022.

If your International English Language Testing System (IELTS) expires before visa interview, do we need to retake it?

CONNETICS is monitoring the expiry of your English. We should have your visascreen issued before the expiry of the results. Email if your scores are within 6 months of expiring and you don't have a visascreen. We only apply for a Visascreen if you have passed NCLEX.

If I have a pending asylum and I'm trying to adjust my status without the retrogression would I be able to do that?

No, you cannot adjust status with pending asylum until one year after your asylum has been granted.

Is it possible to recapture my old PD of 2008 with CONNETICS even though my application is already with the embassy and with scheduled interview on May 22, 2023 but I am affected with the recent retrogression since my PD is Oct 14, 2022?

Please contact your Immigration coordinator to provide more details. However we recommend you stay with your current PD since it is so close to the February 1, 2022 priority date. Attempting to recapture a prior priority date at this stage of your visa process may cause unnecessary delays.

How do you know if you are Visa qualified/eligible?

February 1, 2022 is the established cutoff date for you to compare with your Priority date on your approval notice. If your Priority date is on or before February 1, 2022, you are visa eligible. If your priority date is after February 1, 2022, you are affected by retrogression and are not visa eligible at this time.

Should I still go ahead and do job interviews?

Yes. Our Account Management Team are still presenting your profile to job orders with our clients. You should be checking your email regularly (and SPAM) to check for emails from our team members (

I resigned from my current job just before the announcement of the retrogression. I am not sure what's next now. Will my employer still hire me or I need to get a new job until the visa issuance resumes?

Please reach out to your Immigration Coordinator (or email to provide more details on your situation.

Will CONNETICS apply for I 140 even now retrogression happened or for new candidates they should wait after retrogression finished?

Even though we are in retrogression, CONNETICS will continue to submit your I-140 applications to USCIS so your priority date can be established.

What is the validity period of visa screen?

Five years from date of issuance.

I saw news yesterday that retrogression will be until 2025. But I don't know how true it is.

This is highly unlikely as there are new Visa allocations every October which is the beginning of the fiscal year.

Is it possible to get a visa without an interview?

No. If consular filing you must attend an interview in an Embassy overseas.

Will I need to renew my police clearances even after I'm Documentarily Qualified

Police clearance letters are valid for 12 months from the date of issuance and if they expire they will have to be renewed.

What is the Eb3 visa availability for people who are in the US already under an OPT ? does it change anything? if I start the process right now and CONNETICS files I-140 when do you think I'll be able to get a Eb3 approved?

For those under OPT residing in the US, we can file your I-140 but due to retrogression we cannot adjust your status until you are Visa eligible. We recommend you file your I-140 to establish your priority date.

Should I wait to resign my current employment if my priority date is under retrogression?

Do not resign from your position until you have your immigrant visa. We encourage you to start the process by applying today or if you are currently in the process with us, please reach out to your Immigration Coordinator with more details on the timing of resigning with your current employer overseas. From there, we can strategize and provide a recommendation.

Can O'Grady Peyton International still file my visa application if I just passed the NCLEX despite the retrogression?

Yes, even though we are in retrogression, O'Grady Peyton International will continue to submit your I-140 petition to USCIS so your priority date can be established.

If my case affected by retrogression, and I have job placement already, is the hospital will wait for me until my visa approved or do I need to placed again?

Your assignment will remain the same as we are keeping our client hospitals fully aware of any delays with your start. However, in the eventuality that a client no longer has your position available, our Account Management Team will work with you on a new assignment.

Please if the hospital you are supposed to work in is expecting you in July 2023 and with the retrogression in visa issuance and you are not able to be in the United states at that time, will your contract with the hospital you are supposed to travel to hold ?

The Account Management Team are keeping the US hospitals fully aware of visa retrogression and the clients understand the potential delays and are willing to wait for you. If for any reason a hospital no longer has a position when you are ready to travel then the AMs will confirm another assignment.

Will NVC still send our documents to the embassy if we are qualified even if our priority date is not current? I’ve been qualified since April 9.

The NVC will hold your documents and not schedule your Embassy appointment until you are visa eligible.

Does adding a dependent such as a child in your petition after case complete have any impact on your priority date or case complete?

No, your priority date was established when USCIS received your I-140 application and so your priority date will not change.

My interview was successful in February, but we have not yet traveled to activate it. Will this affect us?

If you have been issued a Visa you have six months to activate your visa and are not impacted by the retrogression.

Is there any priority for health workers in this retrogression issues?

No, Healthcare workers are impacted by the retrogression and have to abide by the Department of State Visa cut off dates.

My I -140 was issued last month. How would visa retrogression affect me?

If your priority date is after February 2022, then you are impacted by the retrogression and your case will continue to the NVC for processing; however, you will not be scheduled for an Embassy Interview until you are visa eligible.

Can you run through what to expect if your priority date is before February 1, 2022?

You are not impacted by the retrogression if your priority date is on or before February 1, 2022. Your case will continue as normal.

My visa screen was issued on February 2023 what is the validity period. When will it expire?

Your visascreen is valid for 5 years from the issuance date (expiry date is listed on the top right hand corner of the certificate).

I am from the Philippines and in the USA already using h4 Visa dependent of H1B. I just signed up with CONNETICS and still waiting for an updates about my application. Am I affected also with the retrogression?

Yes, when your I-140 is approved you will have a priority date after February 1, 2022 and so you will be impacted by the retrogression and we would be unable to adjust our status from H4 until you are visa eligible.

My I-140 petition is approved, am I still impacted by the visa retrogression?

Although your I-140 petition is approved, if your priority date is after the cutoff date for your country of birth, then you are affected by the visa retrogression

Will now this retrogression affect cases which are under administrative processing even though priority date is before February?

No, your case will not be affected by the retrogression as your priority date is before February 1, 2022.

Should I go ahead to pay for my visa bill fee?

Yes, please continue to pay your fees and submit all documents to help us continue to move your case forward.

Do I need to notify the healthcare facility when I am visa eligible?

Your O'Grady Peyton International account manager is keeping our client facilities fully aware of your status and will notify them the moment your visa interview date is scheduled. Our facilities are eager for you to be cleared and they support our efforts to get you on board with them as soon as possible.

Can we still re-apply to the same facility where I initially signed a job offer and now they emailed me of cancellation of pending contract?

Please contact your Immigration coordinator if you receive an email from a facility cancelling your contract as this is not the normal procedure. We will follow up with your Account Manager to evaluate this situation.

What do I do when I become visa eligible?

When you are visa eligible, we will communicate directly with the National Visa Center on your behalf to request a Visa Interview for you. There is no need for you to contact the National Visa Center or your Embassy.

I have a priority date of 2007 now its recaptured so will I be affected by retrogression I'm form India?

If your priority date of 2007 was recaptured, you are not impacted by the retrogression and your case will continue to the NVC for processing and then to the embassy for an interview.

How will I know that my case is current?

Your case is considered current when your priority date comes before the visa eligible cutoff date on the Visa bulletin.